Monday, November 14, 2011

I don't want to just get by

No sir, not me.  I don't want to just get by.  I never have, I likely never will.

When I wake up each day, and the mental checklist begins, I know it's time to hit the deck running.  The morning routine of a working mother is not for the faint hearted.  And, while sometimes I feel like I've been launched like a human human cannon, I have no interest in the alternative.

I want to go at 110%, all the time, every time.  I want to know that I have put forth the best I can from the quality of my kids' packed lunches to the last patient of the day and the final email correspondence which may be well past my bed time.  Physically giving my all and mentally knowing that I have is the best recipe for sleep anyway!

I want to appreciate the fact that today is a gift and focus on what I can do with that gift.  And when my sights fall short of the top of the mountain, I want to stop only long enough to regroup and look for the summit.

I want to appreciate the amazing people in my life and connect with them often.  As hard as it is to face the stress or sadness that my loved ones may be dealing with, letting them know I'm here allows me to somehow repay the gift of their presence in my life.

I know that the path I choose is more difficult.  I know there are unexpected turns and other elements to weather along the way.  I know I'm usually exhausted by the end of the day.  But, I know that I'm never bored!

For me, it's not about survival.  It's about maximizing my potential.  We were taught as children there is no limit besides the ones we impose upon ourselves.  "If the sky's the limit, how did we put a man on the moon?"

It's first a mental shift.  How will I move from "please, God, get me through this day." to "I don't see why not!"  Easy - don't define yourself by your limitations.  And, while it may take some serious focus to "bring it" every day, we can do it.

Go, appreciate, know, but don't just get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment