Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fall into Healthy Favorites

The temperature is dropping and my heat bill is clicking away.  Ah, welcome to fall in the north east!  The fire in the fireplace, thick socks and extra hour of sleep for day light savings - all rate up there with comfort food.  (Oh no, now I did it.  I planted the seed... comfort food....)

A couple of years back, I was curious about the "super foods".  What are they and why are only a select few deemed super?  Now I'm no foodist, but, I can offer these suggestions to you as a way to find comfort not only in satisfaction, but also in knowing that you are fueling your body with some "super" nutritional value this fall.

1.  Try a cup of green tea.  Love it!  I get home from work, the house temperature has been turned down for the time we are away from home, and I turn on the tea pot.  Green tea should not be made with fully boiling water as the taste will be slightly more bitter that way.  So, it whistles and I wait another minute before steeping.  I add a little lemon juice or honey and savor the full five minutes I get before my house is filled with near the chaos of my kids coming in from school.  Somehow, sipping the tea (slowly because it is hot) warms me and calms me as it encourages me to move a little more slowly.  Enter it's super power!  Green tea has been associated with cancer risk reduction, prevention of high blood pressure, improved skin, memory improvement, less fat and cholesterol absorption, and prevention of cataracts.  Best bet, mix it with citrus juice of your choice for the best absorption of all of the catechins that deliver the antioxidant punch.

2.  Pumpkin!  Could you get any more seasonal?  Its rich fall color and the feeling you get when you put them on display should be pretty good indicators of what they can do.  Full of potassium, magnesium, fiber and antioxidants, either canned or fresh will give you a super shot.  We've collected pumpkin recipes for years as it is a huge favorite in my house.  Give pumpkin pancakes a try - you may never go back!

3.  And of course there's the turkey!  Go ahead, this is the place for seconds.  Skinless turkey is known for its ample supply of B vitamins.  Niacin, B6 and B12 are key in stress control and cell and DNA repair.  Additionally, B6 and B12 are mounting evidence about their role in reversing depression, preventing colon cancer and reversing heart disease.  Top it off with a little cranberry relish and boy have you created a heart healthy hit!

Healthy aging practices are all about taking the high road.  When offered a choice, I hope you choose the option that will be a deposit in your health account and not a draw.  In knowing more, you can be armed with the information to support these choices.  And, every good choice is a step in the direction of your healthy aging journey.  But now, it's tea time!

No comments:

Post a Comment