Monday, August 1, 2011

The Family Room

By Friday, I typically feel like I've put in my time and have earned myself a weekend.  So, Friday nights, my siblings, their families and mine congregate at my parents' house for a little battery re-charge.  No one cares what you're wearing, if you find the couch and sack out for a half hour, or if the kids interrupt the conversation.  The time is filled with laughter, crazy stories of the week and trips down memory lane.  It's just good old fashioned down time.  Always uplifting, time well spent.

This past Friday, as I bemoaned the busy schedule of the upcoming weekend, I passed back and forth through our Fuel Good Cafe.  A hum of conversation, the incredible smell of brewing coffee and cooking sandwiches, and the casual, relaxed feel with the TV and couches- it almost felt like the family room at my parents' house.  See, we're a big crowd, and there's always  room for more.  That's the feel at the Fuel Good.  It's genuine smiles when you make eye contact, the comfort of knowing you're among friends, and the common ground of actively working toward being a better you.  There's an occasional hoot for an accomplishment, a few tears for friends going through a hard time, and always an ear to tell your story to.  Yup, just like the family room.

Propinquity has its effects, and who doesn't want to share in some light-hearted, good-natured fun?  As I went through the cafe throughout the day, the feel didn't change.  This could have been a group of strangers and something about the atmosphere gives off a sense of connectedness.  It's like today's Cheers cast.

In my search for healthy aging practices, regularly spending time with a community, family, social network or group of close friends is a common theme in the cultures that live happily ever after.  Bring your friends and see how The Fuel Good Cafe provides excellent, healthier fare in a "family room" atmosphere.  Re-charge your batteries, contribute toward your own "happily ever after".  I'm sure you'll agree - always uplifting, time well spent. (And by the way - can I recommend The Herbivore!)

No comments:

Post a Comment