Monday, October 10, 2011

Shouldering Responsibility

"If you want kids to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders." (Abigail Van Buren) I envision the kid who like a helium filled balloon, slowly drifts up and off the ground.  Add a little responsibility (aka weight) on their shoulders, and it counters the float, keeping them grounded.  I like this image.

I was the kid in college who had a part time job from my first semester on.  I worked summers to off set my tuition and have some spending money.  I didn't "get" my first car until I was a senior in college but instead would borrow my parent's cars when I was home.  Being the second of 6 kids, my parents' income had many costs to cover and since I was fully capable of earning, I was fully expected to.

Fast forward to 2011.  Now, it's my turn as a parent.  Grades are the number 1 priority.  I want my kids to spend their time out of school being kids, but fully expect that since they are able to work (as a student earning high marks), they should do that.  When they are able to shoulder more responsibility, outside of their "chores" and school work, we'll talk about a part-time job.

In the meantime, and not because I force them to, I want my children to learn the value of volunteer work.  This weekend, at our fabulous O'er the Hills and Far Away Race, about 50 kids volunteered their time on a beautiful, sunny Saturday.  The kids seemed to have a great time, working the water stops, manning the little kids' area, and cheering on the runners.  They learned what it's like to be a part of a community, how it feels to have some responsibility, and how good it feels to do something for someone else.

Truth is, I whole-heartedly believe in altruism.  I know the overall health benefits of it, and know that the lift it gives is unmatched.  I absolutely want my kids to keep their feet on the ground.  They have their home and school responsibilities.  But, I value the opportunity for social responsibility and feel lucky to have had this opportunity for them.  Will they work as many part time jobs as I did?  No prediction.  But, they will have many opportunities to learn to give of their time because the payment for this is bigger than their young minds can really grasp.  Over time, I hope they learn that shouldering this responsibility builds them into much bigger people.

No comments:

Post a Comment