Thursday, July 7, 2011

Might As Well Jump

So the radio starts playing a song and I instantly start tapping my thumb on the steering wheel.  Ah, good music.  Man, that sounded old!  Then, the ultimate.  My kid says "Mom, you know this song?"  Of course I know this song!  I start singing the lyrics and his chin about hits the floor.  Yes, Van Halen, DefLeppard, Journey and even Jon BonJovi are music from "my era"...whatever that means!  And, he's impressed.

It is unlikely that "Jump" would have made it to my ipod, however.  I tend to roll with the times and download music that I currently enjoy listening to.  The more recent stuff and the ever favorite U2 songs are much more likely.  But, after my 11 year old's reaction, I got such a kick out of it, "Jump" made it to my playlist.

Yesterday, as I was out running and "Jump" comes on.  I smile to myself and let my thoughts run down memory lane.  My brother loved that song!  I can still picture his imitation of David Lee Roth jumping off the stage.  Or, those spandex pants... the ones the teenage girls now include in their track attire.  How about that long hair?  Glad that fad went by!

Next thing I know, I am at my turn around point.  Wow, that seemed so fast.  I look at my watch - it was fast, (for me anyway... I'm no Julie Culley folks!) clocking that mile at 7:36.  Funny, it didn't seem that difficult.  I double check my watch for the distance and time.  Checks out.  Hmmm.

In retrospect, I think that memory lane was a pleasant way to distract my mind and let my body do what it wanted to.  Although I never thought of it quite like that, it just may be that I am imposing my own limitations.  Maybe, when I push aside all of the advice, rules, and traditions of running that I have been trying to comply with, my body will know what to do.  I won't run so hard that I puke or pass out, and I'll run past my own perceived limitations.  And, next time Van Halen comes across my ipod I'll smile and think to myself, "aww, might as well jump!"

No comments:

Post a Comment